OPITO Helideck Emergency Response Team Member Further
*1. Target Group
This training is designed for currently-appointed OPITO-certified HERTMs that are required to revalidate their OPITO HERTM certification by refreshing
and updating their knowledge and skills in aspects of their role that they cannot practice in the workplace.
*2. Delegate Pre-requisites
The prerequisites for the HERTM Further Training are:
a) A valid OPITO Helideck Emergency Response Team Member Training Certificate (or),
b) A valid OPITO HERTM Further Training Certificate.
*3. Physical and Stressful Demands
Training and/or assessment activities contained within this Standard may include physically demanding and potentially stressful elements. All personnel
who participate in such activities must be physically and mentally capable of participating fully. Therefore to ensure that prior to participating in practical
exercises, the delegate must:
(a) Possess a valid, current offshore medical certificate (or)
(b) Possess an operator approved medical certificate, (And)
(c) Undergo medical screening by completing appropriate medical screening form provided by QISC.
*4. Aims and Objectives
The aim of this HERTM Further Training Programme is to give HERTM’s the opportunity to practice and maintain the skills required when dealing with
helicopter emergency response situations or incidents as members of an Offshore Helideck Emergency Response Team, in aspects of their role which
they cannot reasonably practise offshore.
*5. Learning Outcomes / Assessment Criteria
To successfully complete this Programme, delegates must demonstrate the following:
(1) Emergency access and egress to and from helidecks including clear, concise and effective communications with HERTL and team members.
(2) Updating HERTL on progress against the emergency response plan at appropriate times.
(3) Responding appropriately to HERTL direction during emergencies including the correct selection of appropriate fire-fighting equipment for the incident.
(4) Under direction from the HERTL: approaching the incident area in a controlled manner – continually assessing how the changes in the emergency could
impact on the safety of other ERT members, maintaining a means of escape from the incident area.
(5) Effective execution of emergency response tasks.
(6) Conducting helicopter incident firefighting operations, to include responding to a helicopter engine fire using a CO2 media extended applicator.
(7) Correct donning and use of breathing apparatus (BA) when instructed by HERTL (all delegates to practice donning and using BA).
(8) Effective Search and rescue (SAR) principles and techniques – on or close to the helideck, locating, extracting and handling missing personnel and
casualties following a helicopter incident on the helideck.
(9) Appropriate response to non-firefighting operations during helicopter incident.
(10) Effective use of firefighting fixed, portable and mobile systems, including fixed fire monitors, dry chemical and CO2 fire extinguishment and control media
(11) Responding to an NUI helideck fire (with limited firefighting equipment).
(12) Working with back-up emergency response teams – where required to do so.
(13) Correct casualty handling techniques.
(14) Hose-running techniques and associated hazards
*6. Delegate Performance Assessment / Certification / Validity
Delegate Performance Assessment: Delegates will be assessed against the learning outcomes 1 to 14 by direct observation and oral and/or written
questions as appropriate.
Certification: OPITO Approved Certification with Two Years validity
*7. Instructor & Delegate Ratio
The following ratios indicate the maximum number of delegates to be supervised by one Instructor at any one time during each activity.
Practical Exercises 1:6
*8. Duration and Timing
The optimum ‘contact time’ for this OPITO programme is 12.5 hours.
Qatar International Safety Centre
Gate No. 9 building – 23 Street – 45
Salwa Industrial Area
PO Box 23651
*10. For more information
Please contact us direct for availability & costs:
Tel: +974 4450 1223
Fax: +974 4450 1220
www.qisc.net / www.madinagulf.com