OPITO Basic H2S Training
The Target group is personnel that are, or could be, working in an environment that could become contaminated by H2S gas.
There are no prerequisites required for Basic H2S Training.
3.Physical and Stressful Demands
Training and/or assessment activities contained within this Standard may include physically demanding and potentially stressful elements. All personnel
who participate in such activities must be physically and mentally capable of participating fully.
Therefore to ensure that prior to participating in practical exercises, the delegates will be required to undergo medical screening by completing appropriate
medical screening form provided by QISC.
4.Aims and Objectives
The aims and objectives of the training are to ensure that the delegate gains the required knowledge and understanding of the particular hazards and
properties of H2S, and appropriate emergency response actions to take should a H2S related incident arise.
5.Learning Outcomes / Assessment Criteria
To successfully complete this training delegates must able to explain:
(1) Hydrogen sulphide – how it is formed and where it is found
(2) Other names used to describe H2S
(3) Properties and characteristics of H2S
(4) Parts per million (ppm) as a measurement parameter
(5) Occupational exposure limits to H2S
(6) Factors affecting individual susceptibility to H2S
(7) Types of detector equipment
(8) Types of respiratory equipment
(9) Pre-use checks of personal detection devices and EBA
To successfully complete this training delegates must able to demonstrate:
(10) Operating personal H2S detection equipment (including checks)
(11) Responding to an alarm
(12) Donning & operating (including checks) an escape breathing apparatus
(EBA) with a mask within 30 seconds
(13) Donning & operating (including checks) an EBA with a hood within 30 seconds
(14) Connecting to a pressurised cascade breathing system with an activated EBA which has been donned correctly
(15) Disconnecting from a pressurised cascade breathing system with an activated EBA which has been donned correctly.
6.Delegate Performance Assessment / Certification / Validity
Delegate Performance Assessment: Delegates will be assessed against the learning outcomes 1 through 9 using direct by oral & written questions and
10 through 15 using direct observation
Certification: OPITO Approved Certification with Two Years validity
7.Instructor & Delegate Ratio
The following ratios indicate the maximum number of delegates to be supervised by one Instructor at any one time during each activity.
Personal Detection Equipment 1:8
Escape Breathing Apparatus & Cascade 1:8
8.Duration and Timing
The optimum ‘contact time’ (including a refreshment break) is seen as 4 hours
Qatar International Safety Centre
Gate No. 9 building – 23 Street – 45
Salwa Industrial Area
PO Box 23651
10. For more information
Please contact us direct for availability & costs:
Tel: +974 4450 1223
Fax: +974 4450 1220
www.qisc.net / www.madinagulf.com